Wrapped source code is the source code that has been obfuscated using the wrap utility, documented in the PL/SQL User's Guide and Reference for Oracle 10G (or similar document for earlier or future versions).
Basically you can get wrapped source by executing the following statement from the O/S command line (I did this on a Windows box):
wrap iname=source.pls oname=source.plbwhere iname is the parameter for the input file and oname for the output file.
Please refer to the official documentation for restrictions and/or additional information.
Note also that using these file extensions is not mandatory, they just represent the usual ones.
By wrapping the source code you achieve the following two goals:
- to make the source code unmodifiable;
- to make the source code difficult to read.
I say difficult but not impossible, because it seems that there is some way to reverse engineer wrapped code, if you are interested in doing this, you can certainly find some link where the this matter is investigated.
Once the source code has been wrapped, it can be easily loaded as a Simple Script or as a Supporting Object Installation Script.
In order to do so, i recommend using the "Load from file" option instead of the copy-and-paste into the editor window technique, but either of the two should be perfectly working.
For some unknown reason that i unsuccessfully tried to recreate, i ended up once with a corrupted package body and basically you will find out that something has gone wrong if you see either of these symptoms:
1. attempting to compile the wrapped object you get :
PLS-00801: internal error [pkg_read: corrupted wrap 3]
2. attempting to compile the wrapped object you get:
PLS-00753: malformed or corrupted wrapped unit
3. attempting to run a wrapped packaged function or procedure you get:
ORA-04063: package body "OWNER.PACKAGE_NAME" has errors
Whatever the error is, the only practical workaround is to reinstall the corrupted object from a valid source file.
As i said earlier, i was unable to reproduce this problem without explicitly editing the wrapped code (which led to PLS-00753 only whereas PLS-00801 remains a mystery), which is a good thing in the end, because it means that the whole process is quite robust.
In pursue of PLS-00801 i also checked for an encoding issue because i was suspecting that specifying the wrong file encoding at load time could cause the problem, but the wrapped portion of the code is encoded using the so-called BASE64 character set (that is the basic ASCII 7-bit character set) and changing from UTF8 to WINDOWS1252 or vice versa didn't affect the result.